The Presidential Libraries Mandatory Review Request form (NA Form 14020) should be used when submitting a request for a mandatory declassification review in accordance with Section 3.5 of Executive Order 13526. The requestor should fill out section I to provide contact information. Sections II and III should be completed by the requestor using the information provided on the document withdrawal sheet (NA Form 14029 or GSA 7122, referred to as “pink sheets”). The documents identified on the request form should be from one folder only. If all documents requested from a single folder cannot be listed on a single form, use additional forms as necessary. If you are requesting documents from more than one folder, use a separate request form for each folder, even if the folders are from the same box. The Library may, at its discretion, divide requests and assign separate case numbers in order to facilitate handling by the reviewing agencies.
Once the Library receives a Mandatory Review (MR) request, it will be processed as follows:
• The Library will submit copies to the originating agency and/or other agencies that have primary subject matter interest in the document.
• Each agency that has primary subject matter interest will review the document and advise the Library of its decision.
• After all agency responses have been received by the Library, the requestor will be notified of the results of the agencies’ declassification reviews.
• If an agency denies a request for declassification, the requestor may appeal this decision to the agency's appellate authority through the Library. The Library will provide the requestor with appeal instructions in its notification letter prior to public release. An appeal of a sanitized or exempted document must be received by the Library within 60 days of the document’s public release.
• If the agency reviews the document on appeal and determines that more information may be released without harm to national security, the document will be released in accordance with the regulations governing access. The requestor then has the right to appeal the agency’s determination to the Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel (ISCAP) within 60 days of the document’s public release.
• If the agency reviews the document on appeal and determines that it cannot release any further information without harm to national security, the requestor will be notified immediately and informed of the right to file an appeal with the Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel (ISCAP) for final adjudication.
Limitations on the Right to Mandatory Declassification Review:
• Documents that have been reviewed by an agency with declassification authority and exempted from declassification may not be resubmitted for declassification review until two years from the date of an agency's final determination. The two year rule applies regardless of whether the agency reviewed the document as a mandatory declassification review in accordance with Section 3.5 of Executive Order 13526 or as a systematic declassification review in accordance with Section 3.4 the Order.
• Only those requestors identified at the time the Mandatory Review (MR) request is submitted for agency review will have the right to appeal an agency’s final determination.
Review of classified textual materials may be requested through the mandatory declassification review provisions of Executive Order 13526 as follows:
- Download NA Form 14020
- Complete Sections I, II, and III
- Mail or Email the completed NA Form 14020 to:
Eisenhower Presidential Library
Attn: Mandatory Review Request
200 SE 4th Street • Abilene, Kansas 67410